Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Two weeks old!

* NAKED * BABY * ALERT * So far this kiddo seems to love life. He smiles a little bit; he is very pleasant to be around; and he has this sweet, polite cry when he needs something. His angry, frustrated cry comes much later. Gavin makes sweet sounds when he's held by family members, and he breathes with sighs when he eats from his bottle.

We have given him a few baths and each time, we crack up! At first, it's obvious that it's pure torture. After a few minutes, his mad cry tapers down to a questioning cry - still crying but seemingly not sure why. After a few minutes of that, he actually enjoys taking a bath. He has a “ha-ha… ha-ha” cry that just kills me. It’s the sweetest, least convincing cry I’ve ever heard. When that calm comes over him, he opens his eyes wide, looks around, and even reaches out for Dan and me. The best part is washing his hair at the end of the bath. He adores getting his hair washed! Doesn't everyone?

During the first two weeks, Gavin learned to open his other eye (no longer Dan's little pirate); he started grabbing at pacifiers; he took his first naps on Dan’s and my chests; and his cord fell out on his two week birthday – tonight! Everyone says he is a very beautiful baby. And it’s so true. He has lovely skin, gorgeous blue eyes, sweet expressions, and incredible thick, brown hair. I can’t get enough of him!

Being someone's mom is so hard. I think I will never be able to tell him how much I love him. How will he know!? He was a perfect stranger, and then he became everything in the whole world to me. My life changed the second I saw him. He makes me better. I have never loved someone so wholly. We’re so excited to see what he's going to do in this life.

No comments: